Finding information on the internet:
If you can use the internet, you can gather all the information to make your life in Austria easier.
If you don’t know how to use the internet, get help from a teenager (they usually know a lot about the internet) or someone else who loves surfing on the internet. You could also ask one of your Austrian friends, they could explain where you find answers to your questions on the internet.
In many places in Austria there is WLAN for free in public places. Google tells you where exactly to find free WLAN – it works like this:
- Google “Free Wlan Klagenfurt”
- Google “Free Wlan Vienna”
- Just type the name of your city into Google , add “free WLAN” and you will find the answer.
Practical information for refugees:
- Take a look at the videos from “Plattform Rechtsberatung zum Asylverfahren” (=”platform for legal advice on the procedure for granting the right to asylum”)
- The UNHCR gives you an overview of the asylum procedure in Austria
- Refugee Guide with information and basic rules
- In this brochure the AMS gives you an overview of living, working, paying taxes, education and everything else that will concern you when you have been granted asylum in Austria.
- Arrival (tips from the Red Cross)
- New Here
- If you want your family to join you in Austria, you should inform yourself about the next steps at the Red Cross (e.g. passports, marriage certificats, birth certificats, family photos). You can find all the necessary information here.
- Travel Guide
- History knowledge necessary for citizenship
- Watch YouTube videos
- Use Google to research the history of Austria
- Read about the many traditions in Austria (UNESCO list)
- As the culture is similar in Germany and Austria, you should watch this series of videos. Many cultural aspects that you see here are similar in Austria:
- What is democracy? Video about democracy in Germany
- How is the Austrian state structured?
- Which political parties exist in Austria and what do they stand for?
- Read Austrian daily newspapers and keep yourself informed about what is going on around you: