You should gather information about life in Austria as soon as possible because…
- … information is power and the more you know about Austria, the better you can establish your own life here.
- … you thereby show Austrians respect, as you are showing interest in in their country.
- … you might not even be allowed to practice your job in Austria und would have to be retrained. If you do not want this, then you should choose to move to a different country where you can do the job you learned.
- … you will thereby find out more quickly if Austria is the country in which you would like to raise and educate your children. Every human has their own set of views, values and principles that will shape their own life and that of their family. Sometimes, however, these views, values and principles are not compatible with those in the new country. Instead of being unhappy in Austria and making your family and friends unhappy too, you should admit this incompatibility to yourself and move to a different county outside of the EU.
Where can I find information about Austria?
On the internet:
- Travel Guide
- History knowledge necessary for citizenship
- Watch YouTube videos
- Use Google to research the history of Austria
- Sign up for a WelcomingTour – this is a great way to see Austria through the eyes of a local and maybe even make some new friends.
- New in Austria – videos:
- Traditions in Austria (UNESCO list)
- As the culture is similar in Germany and Austria, you should watch this series of videos. Many cultural aspects that you see here are also valid in Austria:
- What is democracy? Video about democracy in Germany
- Which political parties exist in Austria and what do they stand for?
- Read Austrian daily newspapers and keep yourself informed about what is going on around you:
- Am I even allowed to practice my profession in Austria?
- How much money will I realistically be able to earn with my job?
- Go to the Austrian Integration Fund and sign up for a course – for example:
- Values and orientation course on my life in Austria
- Integration workshops on topics such as women, health, the environment, culture …
- Sign up for an information event organized by MA17 in Vienna – here you will learn about “Housing”, “Living together”, “Healthcare”, “Education”, “Social affairs”…
In everyday life:
- Find yourself some Austrian friends and ask them many questions
- Pick up your own culture pass (Kulturpass) and check out different museums in Vienna for free
- Read a free daily newspaper on the underground