How do I find a job?
As soon as you got your decision on asylum, you should start looking for a job right away. Finding a job in itself is hard work! It is like a real job – you should spend several hours each day looking for a new job. You should send at least 3 job applications every day or deliver the job applications personally to the companies you are applying to.
- Use the internet to find suitable job offers:
- Use Google to find a suitable job. As Vienna has a very high level of unemployment, and certain jobs are only available in other provinces, you should be looking for jobs all around Austria. That way you will have better opportunities! As soon as you have found a job, many other things will come automatically (money, an apartment, learning German, friends …). You should get some work experience and after a while, you can move wherever you would really like to live with your family. However, especially at the beginning you will have to be very flexible. As all of Austria is a great place to live, this isn’t a bad thing!
- You can also use Google to find jobs in which you would mostly be speaking English, but don’t need to be fluent in German just yet.Google “English Jobs in Österreich”
- Register with the Public Employment Service Austria (AMS) and use the AMS eJob-Room. This video explains what you have to do (only in German):
- Use a job portal – for example: www.karriere.at
- Were you given asylum less than 2 years ago? Apply for the Voluntary Integration Year (Freiwilliges Integrationsjahr).
- Register with an organisation that will actively assist you in finding a job:
- Download an application to your phone:
- Check the newspapers (on paper or online) for a suitable job. Here you can often also find tips on the job application process:
- Think about which company you would like to work for and apply directly to that company. Behind every product there is a company that may look for a new employee.
- Visit the company’s website and try to find out if there are any positions open. For example:
- Usually there is a page on the website named “careers” (“Karriere”) or “jobs” (“Jobs”) or “team” (“Team”). Here you can apply directly for the job.
- By using the website or by making a brief phone call to the company, you can try to find out who is responsible for hiring new employees and you can send them an e-mail with your application, so that they can contact you as soon as a position in the company becomes available.
- Print out your CV, put on your best outfit, go directly to the company and tell them that you would like to work for them. Leave your CV with them and ask them to call you as soon as a position becomes available.
- Find yourself an Austrian mentor who can give you tips for finding a job: Mentoring for Migrants Programme of the Austrian Integration Fund (ÖIF)
- Ask all of your friends in Austria, whether they know of a company who is looking for someone like you.
- Apply to a personnel service provider or staffing agency that can hire you out on an hourly or a daily basis. Through one of these providers or agencies, it can be easier to find a regular job (watch this YouTube video) or flexible work as a temporary worker (watch this YouTube video):